In Karrasekare we attempt to remove the flesh from human behaviour. The work presents humans as idiosyncratic and cultured beings, while trying not to forget that we are all little more than instinctive animals fleshed out in human form.
Karrasekare is inspired by pagan carnival traditions from Sardinia and the Basque Country. Raw and surprising, sweaty yet elegant, it explores the catharsis of communal ritual and traditions. Channeling the energy of these carnival traditions, the work is filled with the excitement of being together and rubs against our sense of decency and prudishness.
Karrasekare will premiere on 4 and 5 November 2023 at Romaeuropa Festival / Teatro Vascello (Rome).
- Moreno Solinas Choreographer & Performer
- Igor Urzelai Hernando Choreographer & Performer
- Margherita Elliot Performer & Rehearsal Director
- Giulia Vacca Performer
- Marcella Mancini Performer
- Alessio Rundeddu Performer
- Matteo Sedda Performer
- Simon Ellis Dramaturg
- Edoardo Robert Elliot Original Music, Sound Design & Technical Manager
- KASPERSOPHIE Set, Costume and Props Designers
- Joshie Harriette Lighting Designer
- Giovanni Spada Stage Manager
- Misha Benjamin Rigger
- Davide Pisano Project Producer
- Anna Paola Della Chiesa Project Administrator
- produced by S’ALA and The Place
- co-produced with Theatre De La Ville, Fuorimargine, Romaeuropa, Bora Bora and Theatrefestival Boulevard
- In collaboration with Toscana Terra Accogliente (with residencies at Anghiari Dance Hub and Armunia, and funding from Fabbrica Europa), HKD – Croatian Cultural Centre
- Supported by the Italian Cultural Institute in London and NID Platform
- sponsor: Viale s.r.l.
- Created with funding from , MiC – Italian Ministry of Culture’s Directorate General for Performing Art, Regione Autonoma Della Sardegna and Fondazione Di Sardegna.